PhD in Physics
The call for PhD positions in Physics will open on July 28.
Candidates can find instructions on how to submit their application on the University of Parma Doctoral studies web site
DEADLINE: September 2, 2022 - The on-line submission procedure will be availabile from July 28 2022.
In the application for the competitive examination, the candidate must choose and specify one research. The candidate may indicate a second priority choice. The above choice will be binding with regard to the winner's research activity.
Further information on the research topics can be found in the document at the bottom of this page.
- Spectroscopic characterization of minerals interesting for the environmental sciences
- Computational and theoretical models of single neuron dynamics and collective dynamical regimes of neuronal activity in non-human primates
- Molecular spins for Quantum Technologies beyond the qubit encoding
- Methods to find the super-spreaders in complex networks
- Emulsion Dynamics on Earth and in Microgravity
- Gauge Theories and Holography at the Crossroads
- Precision tests of fundamental physics from the Large Scale Structure of the Universe
- Artificial intelligence models: development and application on in vivo X-ray imaging in drug discovery
- Nonlinear evolution in open many-body quantum systems
- Inference and reconstruction of mobility temporal networks and mobility flows in urban areas
The PhD in Physics, with a duration of 3 years, is established as a unifying element of the third-level University education in the Physics` area. Besides their main commitment to the research activity, students are supposed to spend a substantial part of their training period in attending advanced courses as well as national and international schools. Students are encouraged to spend part of their time abroad in order to participate in scientific collaborations in their fields of interest and follow advanced courses in support of their research program. During the three-years, teaching commitments are progressively reduced towards a full time engagement in the research activity. The evaluation of the training program is carried out - at the end of each year - through open seminars held by the students. The independent scientific research is expected to lead to publication of results in international, peer reviewed journals. The ultimate goal of the PhD in physics is a highly specialized scientific training that opens professional carriers in academic institutions and research laboratories, either public or private. More information on the structure of the PhD course can be found at this link.
The PhD in Physics is divided into three areas corresponding to major groups of disciplines of Physical Sciences covered by the research activity of the Department of Mathematical, Physical and Computer Sciences: Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, Theoretical Physics, Biophysics and Applied Physics.
Information on the ongoing Research activity in Physics in our Department can be found in
Courses offered to students enrolled in the Ph.D. in Physics includes
- Courses expressly offered for the Ph.D. in Physics (see courses cycle XXXVIII below)
- All courses of the Master's Degree in Physics
- Courses offered by the Doctoral School in Science and Technology
- Courses offered by the University and interdisciplinary courses (see below)
The list of courses can be found below, including interdisciplinary courses.
Request of authorization for attending external courses
If you wish to attend a course other than those offered by the PhD in Physics or the Doctoral School in Science and Technology, please fill in the form below (modulo_autorizzazione corsi esterni, English version soon available) and submit it to the chair of doctoral studies committee before the course starts.
After attending any course, including those offered by the PhD in Physics or the Doctoral School in Science and Technology, please ask the teacher(s) to fill in a report assessing his/her evaluation using the form below (modulo_certificazione_esami, English version soon available).
If you attend a school, please provide at least a certificate of attendance and, if applicable, an assessment by the school organizer(s) reporting an evaluation of your participation.
Submit the document(s) to the chair of doctoral studies committee at the end of the course/school.
Project writing - Dott.ssa Silvia Tavernini
Pubblicare in ambiente accademico: Open Science, Open Access, FAIR Data - Dott.ssa Giada Costa
Study skills: English for Academic Purposes - Prof.ssa Anila Ruth Scott-Monkhouse